Productivity is one of the major concerns for most managers and key metrics in the modern business environment.
You ask yourself why? The answer is quite simple, a high productivity allows you to work less on routine tasks and spend more time on personal goals. We swept through our company and collected the best productivity tips and tricks for you.
- The productivity does not start with the task itself: Before you start a task take some time on the day or night before. Create a list of necessary resources, make yourself aware of what the goal is, how you want to achieve it, and in which timeframe or resources. The challenge is often that not all resources are immediately at hand but this problem can be solved with a Digital Asset Management (DAM) solution. We explained in another article when it makes actually sense to use a DAM.
2. Meditate, meditate, and focus – forget multi-tasking: Stop overanalyzing and worrying about how you’re going to complete all the tasks at hand. Your day has just started and hopefully, you made a plan for what you want to achieve today. Take one task at a time and meditate between them. Meditating does not have to be a spiritual experience. Just take a few minutes and clear your mind, then start with one task and one task only.
3. Start moving: Sport is a secret weapon for productivity. Nothing helps you better clear your head and get a fresh view of problems than a physical challenge. A great opportunity is to take a run during the lunch break with colleagues. Not to forget that even clinical studies have proven that sport increases productivity through physical improvements. Another great opportunity is to make running meetings. Transfer your meeting out of the dark meeting room on the road. Run at a slow pace to enable running and talking at the same time
4. Visualize your goals and success: Visualization is the simple act of imagining in detail, what your goals will look like once realized and what will you gain by it. Visualization can be used for long-term or short-term goals. It will help you generate ideas, increases motivation, and a better understanding of the resources you will need to achieve your goal.
5. Work smart not hard: Focus on a task for a short period of time and then allow yourself to rest for a longer period. Small amounts of focused action immediately followed by a long period of rest are the secret formula for getting tasks done at a sustainable pace. Play the long game and don’t burn out! The right tool kit also helps you to save massive time. For example, we have collected the 15 best content marketing tools for teams in a blog post.
6. Avoid distraction – get disconnected: Turn off your mobile or at least mute it if your girlfriend is excepting your first-born child. Close unnecessary browser windows. Disconnect from social media, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, work-related communication channels, or platforms such as Slack, Trello, Skype. Most important one … close your Outlook, Gmail, or whatever email client you use. Look for a quite workplace (e.g. reserve a meeting room) if your office coworkers tend to be noisy or frequently ask for your opinion. A good tip is also to create an appointment in your work calendar, this way you will appear busy or not available for your colleagues. There are a bunch of useful tools that actually take over some of those tasks for you. Once configured those tools will block all digital distractions for you.
7. Treat yourself well: Energy drinks, coffee or other stimulants should not be your daily diet. Get yourself a good portion of sleep every day, eat balanced (to be honest everyone loves junk food every now and then) and do sport. A productive work-life does not mean you have to embrace unhealthy habits. A physically healthy body is the cornerstone of your success.
8. Get your mind off work before going to bed: Do you know that feeling? There is a challenging project and you think about how to solve a specific problem all the time? Make sure to get your mind off it before you go to sleep to avoid undesired effects of your rest. It is an old school but takes a good book (prepared the paper version) and read for some time. This way you will wake up easily and well-rested.
9. Routine is king: Sounds boring? – yeah, but it is really simple and effective. Many of the most successful people in the world like Elon Musk, Bill Gates, and others live by it. Structure your day and especially your morning with a routine. Wake up early at the same time, doing some physical exercise, reading the latest news, simple meditation, and visualizing the essential tasks for today are just some easy examples. A daily routine is actually the perfect way to integrate all points from above to increase your productivity effectively.